Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Comments Announcement

I have been putting this off for a long time, but the increase in the amount of spam that regularly appears in Book Chase comments is forcing me to make a change. From tonight onward, I am going to approve each comment before it appears in the comments section here. Blogger's software makes that whole process relatively painless, so I expect legitimate comments to be posted within an hour or two of when they are made (except those that show up in the wee hours of the morning, of course).

One commenter posts something in Japanese under at least half of the posts I make. I have no idea what that person is saying, but I suspect he is trying to sell something despite the fact that he does not post a specific link. Even if I am wrong, I can't take a chance by leaving something up that I can't read. I've been threatened by one semi-celebrity already about a comment that an enemy of his made from the U.K. I don't want that irritation, so comments in a foreign language will not be approved.

I'm sorry to have to do it this way - but the choice is not mine. Thanks for understanding.

4 comments:

  1. I've used comment moderation since I went public with my blog. I think it's the best way.
    I've only deleted one comment as it was in Japanese, as yours was.
    Those of us who comment thoughtfully don't mind it, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. I get about five a week in some kind of either Japanese or Chinese language (and I post less than half as often as you), and most of them seem to be advertising some illicit sex site or something. I've thought about copying and pasting into word and changing the font to see what it would say, but I just don't care enough. I delete them wholesale.

    Good policy, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, I did one of those cut and paste jobs trying to get a translation but all I came up with was a jumble of words in English...no grammar help, so I have no idea what the meaning of the post really was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, that Japanese dude seems to be getting around...wish he'd get a real job and leave the rest of us alone.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.