Tuesday, May 22, 2012

National Short Story Month - Let's Celebrate!

In celebration of National Short Story month, the folks at Open Road Media have produced an illuminating little video about that form of writing.  Short stories are something that I have come to read fairly regularly - but only after taking years and years to warm up to the format - and I have long said that I believe them to be more difficult to write than a novel.  I suppose that, at least for James Jones, they are completed faster, but telling a complete story or creating a lasting impression within the scope of a limited number of words cannot be easy.

Here, several authors tell us what they think about short stories and a little about how they do it:




And here's some icing for your short story cake: a special collection of six stories by F.X. Toole, Edward Bunker, Eileen Pollack, Brian Garfield, Edna O'Brien and David Corbett gathered just for National Short Story Month.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this, Sam. Thanks for posting. I might have to nick it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do, Nik. I had a feeling this might be something you would enjoy. It's well done, I think.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.