Sunday, February 24, 2013

"If You have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."

Bookstores, rapidly disappearing as they are, are still some of my favorite places in the world.  Thankfully,  that is not an uncommon preference:
"A bookstore is one of the only pieces we have that people are still thinking."  Jerry Seinfeld
"As I watched bookstores close, I began to wonder how that felt for the owners.  Owning a bookstore was their dream and now they're struggling and seeing those dreams fall apart."   Karen Kingsbury
"I get crazy in a bookstore.  It makes my heart beat hard because I want to buy everything."  Reese Witherspoon 
"Standing there, staring at the long shelves crammed with books, I felt myself relax and was suddenly at peace."  Helene Hanff 
"The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television."  Andrew Ross
"The bookman appraises towns by the number of their bookshops: they be few, the towns are dull, monotonous, ugly; to be shunned, disliked, or, at best, endured."  Holbrook Jackson
 Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"  Henry Ward Beecher 

Bonus Link: Browse a bookstore via Google Earth

4 comments:

  1. I love these quotes, Sam! I especially like the one about a town being dull if it does not have many. And I understand Helen Hanff's perfectly :-) as it is how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured that some of these quotes would hit close to home for most of us, Susan. The beauty of quotes about bookstores and books is that there seem to be hundreds of them around. We may be a minority, but we are literate enough to express ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased to see Reese Witherspoon chiming in. Helene Hanff said it exactly right. Beecher's got my number.

    As much as I love my Kindle, I still need real bookstore time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Susan. Did you see that someone has floated the theory that brick and mortar bookstores might have to charge a "cover charge" (literally, in this case) someday for those who just come in and browse the shelves before running home to order from Amazon? The cover charge would be deducted from any purchases but not to those who leave without buying. IMO, that would be the last nail in the coffin, though.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.