Saturday, January 02, 2016

Movies for Readers: Carol

Patricia Highsmith was one of the finest writers of her day, and her writing was as bold and fearless as her lifestyle. Highsmith, herself a bisexual, at one point underwent a six-month period of psychoanalysis during which she attempted to "turn herself straight" so that she could be married. It was during this same period that she wrote The Price of Salt (also published under the title Carol) about the affair of two women who meet in a New York department store. The movie version of the story starts Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara and was directed by Todd Haynes.  

I could not find the trailer I was searching for, the one that does not include any dialogue and instead focuses on the 1950s scenery of New York, but this is the official U.S. trailer for the movie.  I'm not particularly interested in the plot of this one but, entirely based upon what I saw in the other trailer, I think it is safe to say that it will be one of the season's most beautifully filmed movies.




Movies for Readers No. 11

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.